Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Only Constant is Change

For many years there was a little sign on our fridge on Parkridge Drive that read, "This, too, shall pass." It appeared there, originally, to remind me to have faith that the hard times we were facing would someday end. They did. And over time I came to realize that, eventually, just about everything changes. Experiences have a starting point and an ending point. Children grow, opportunities and challenges come and go, relationships evolve, life goes on. Good days give way to bad days which give way to more good days.

Understanding that helped me to learn the other truth that showed up on my fridge long ago: "Celebrate the Temporary." That's what I've been trying to do lately. Knowing that our lives are going to change substantially when we enter the MTC in four short weeks, I am noticing and appreciating little things I often take for granted. The hug of a grandchild, the sound of the grandfather clock in the dining room, the peacefulness of the patio in our backyard with it's view of the majestic Wasatch mountains, the time we spend with our children, a conversation with a friend, and the common daily activities we do without even thinking. Right now, I feel a little like "Emily" in Our Town when she is allowed to return and relive a day in her childhood. Every normal, mundane thing about her life seems so precious when she realizes it has come and gone.

I'm grateful to be celebrating the temporary and to be appreciating things a little more deliberately. It's a good thing to do once in awhile. ~Pat~

No comments:

Post a Comment