Sunday, March 17, 2019

Conference Is Coming!

General Conference has always been a special time for me, but somehow the older I get, the more I look forward to the inspiration and promptings I need and feel from listening to Conference.

When I was a young teenager, living in Berkeley, our family would gather with another family or two in the ward to watch Conference on Sunday morning. At first, it was because we didn’t have a television in our home, and later it was for the sociality of watching Conference with other ward members. We couldn’t get the Sunday afternoon or Saturday sessions of Conference on television. 

I recall going often with my father and brother, Paul, to listen to live audio broadcasts of Priesthood sessions on Saturday evenings at the Oakland Interstake Center. Years later, these Priesthood sessions were broadcast through direct satellite to stake centers across the world. For many years I attended these sessions alone, until I could attend with sons-in-law and eventually grandsons. Those times have been very special for me.  

During my mission in Switzerland, I remember listening one time to audio recordings of conference at the ward chapel in Basel. I really appreciated hearing the voices of the prophets at that time when I was so far from home and family.

When Pat and I were a young married couple living in Torrance, California, and our older children were very young, we got baby sitters and took the weekend off to take short trips where we could listen to Saturday and Sunday Conference sessions without interruption. One time we went north to Santa Barbara, and another time we drove south to San Diego.

For ten years I was fortunate to be a volunteer Institute teacher at the University of Utah and later at the Jordan campus of Salt Lake Community College. My favorite class was Teachings of the Living Prophets. Each semester the students gave oral reports on the lives of these 15 apostles and prophets, and then we discussed the most recent General Conference talks and how they applied in the lives of class members. During these classes I came to appreciate the Conference talks more than ever before.

I learned that when any of us have important questions and concerns in life, if we will write down our concerns, and pray earnestly and listen carefully to the Conference talks, take notes and ponder what is being said, we can usually find answers to the specific questions that matter most to us. The same approach can also be applied to reading the scriptures, but when living prophets are speaking to us in our day, I know we are richly blessed when we listen to them. 

While serving in England, we and many missionaries and local members listened to delayed broadcasts of Conference in our Visitor’s Centre at the London Temple. Often we had technical difficulties which made it hard to hear all the broadcasts, but we persisted and were always grateful for what we heard.

Before coming on this mission to Anaheim, Pat and I served two years as Guest Service Missionaries at the Conference Center and Temple Square in Salt Lake City. In addition to participating in many other special events, we attended each session of General Conference in the Conference Center for two years. While we were busy hosting and couldn’t concentrate on every talk, the privilege of being there to witness and hear the words of prophets and apostles in person left a lasting impression on our hearts. We will forever be grateful for that special opportunity.

Lately, it seems that so many new changes and policies have been announced at General Conference that we wonder what is coming next.  I want to be tuned in and not miss anything, but, in truth, I don’t need new announcements or new teachings at Conference.  As I gain experience and perspective in life, I just want to better understand, appreciate, and try to live the important truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ that I have received and know to be true. This April 6th and 7th, I will once again look forward to hearing the words of living prophets.  I am deeply grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ.             --Don--


The First Presidency and Twelve Apostles in Rome, March 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment