Saturday, August 31, 2013

Ministering Angels

We have met so many people on our mission who have taught us what love is by their example - by the way they live their lives. It's always such a privilege to be in their presence and to feel their love. One of those people is Sister Morris.

Sister Morris is from New Zealand, though she has lived in the U.K. for a very long time. She and Brother Morris serve faithfully in the temple - as they have for many years. They are some of the most friendly, non-judgmental, unassuming, loving people we know. They practice the golden rule. It seems that they know just about everyone who comes to the temple. They live in the Lodge, just down the hall from us.

This past year, Sister Morris has fought and recently won a battle with cancer. You can see from the photo that her hair is growing back and she doesn't wear a wig anymore! She is the picture of health. She is loving life now -- but she never stopped loving life while she was sick, either. Even when she was struggling through treatment, she always had a smile and a kind word for everyone she met. And she never stopped looking for ways to help others, though she could have used some TLC* herself. At the place where she received her chemotherapy, she organized the "Happy Society of Chemo Friends." She is amazing!

Today, I was the recipient of some of Sister Morris' TLC. I got stung by a wasp...  again. Having been stung once already - a couple of months ago - I knew just what to do:  call Sister Morris. Last time I got stung, I happened to run into Sister Morris in the parking lot as we were walking home at the same time. She shared her Essential Oils with me and the sting calmed down quickly. This time I went looking for her! She came with a big smile, a hug, and a concoction of several oils. Not only did she know what to do to help me, she made me feel loved. Bless you, Sister Morris! You are an angel to me.

Sister Morris and me

In 2008, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland spoke about ministering angels in General Conference and said, "I have spoken... of heavenly help, of angels dispatched to bless us in time of need. But when we speak of those who are instruments in the hand of God, we are reminded that not all angels are from the other side of the veil. Some of them we walk with and talk with - here, now, every day.  ...Indeed heaven never seems closer than when we see the love of God manifested in the kindness and devotion of people so good and so pure that angelic is the only word that comes to mind."

Someday, I want to be just like the ministering angels I've been blessed to know.         ~Pat~

*TLC = Tender Loving Care

No comments:

Post a Comment