Monday, April 22, 2013

A Good Week in Newchapel

We had a good week this week.  On Wednesday I had my final driving lesson.  Americans can drive for a year in England on their U.S. licenses, but after a year they have to pass two British driving exams -- a theory or written test on the highway rules and hazards, and a practical driving test on the roads with an examiner.  After driving for 53 years, you'd think I would have no problem passing these tests.  Let's just say that many Americans fail their tests the first time -- both the young missionaries and the seniors.

My last driving lesson with Stuart Ansell

I passed my written theory test in January then started taking driving lessons before my practical test.  I must say there is a lot more to getting a driver's license in the UK than in the States.  I thought I might be able to get by without an instructor, but I learned new things with each lesson.  There are so many things to remember. It's easy to get docked for things that may seem minor in the States.  After I took my driver's test Friday, my examiner, a former policeman, said the British exam is the most challenging of any country in the world.  I passed!  I'm happy.  Truth is, I think this experience will make me a much better driver when I return home next year.  That's got to be a good thing.  

I passed!

Our sister missionaries have come to expect donuts -
our traditional "passed the driver's test" celebration at the V.C.

Early last week, before my driving test, I was contacted by a reporter for the area newspaper.  He wanted a reaction to the Book of Mormon Musical playing in London.  I talked to him for a few minutes on the phone, then waited anxiously to see what he would report.  When the article came out on Thursday, I was pleased to find out that he was honest and fair.  The only inaccuracy was the overstated headline.  

The East Grinstead Observer


It rained again on Saturday, but we had a beautiful rainbow over the temple, which Pat captured by leaning out our kitchen window with the camera.

The view from our "flat"

Late afternoon at the temple

The Visitors' Centre is only a few short steps from the temple.

Last Friday night, after my driving test, we celebrated with some friends and went to "The Neil Diamond Story," performed in an East Grinstead theatre by an impersonator who sounded just like him. A great way to end the week.               ~ Don~



No comments:

Post a Comment