Monday, April 8, 2013

Chat

At the London Temple Visitors' Centre, our sister missionaries teach the gospel in many ways.
     (1) Our sisters teach in person. They are always happy to greet and teach anyone who comes into our Visitors' Centre and wants to know more about the Church, about our Savior, or about his gospel. Recently, we've had several people who have seen the Book of Mormon Musical - which just opened in London - travel to the Visitors' Centre asking for a Book of Mormon or answers to their questions.
     (2) Our sisters teach online on "Chat," which is the live instant-messaging program that you access if you click on the tab labeled "Chat" at the top of the page on Mormon.org. Hundreds of sister missionaries at Visitors' Centres around the world, as well as a group of missionaries at the Provo MTC, spend a few hours each day receiving those requests for information about the Church. Usually they teach in English, but often they teach in their native language as well. Requests for information and questions about the Church and it's teachings come from people in every part of the world. Indeed, the gospel of Jesus Christ is being taught this way to nearly every nation, kindred, tongue and people.
     (3) Our sisters teach by email. When people who contact the missionaries want more information than they can get in a simple Chat session, our sister missionaries are encouraged to begin teaching them by email, where they can have longer conversations and teach principles in more detail. Many people feel more comfortable, at first, exploring the Church's teachings online at their own convenience and in a less structured setting. Email teaching is a great advantage to those who travel or have demanding schedules.
     (4) Our sisters have a local area of their village or city of residence where they proselyte - either before or after their Visitors' Centre shifts.

Sister Cardona (on the right) with Sister Berati
Sister Cardona, who has been with us at the Visitors' Centre for many months, is one of several sisters who are having wonderful, faith-promoting experiences teaching online. (See Frosting On The Cake, December 27, 2013.) Several of our sister missionaries have transitioned online contacts to local missionaries in many parts of the world - the U.S.A., Haiti, Canada and England - where the person has continued to be taught and eventually become a member of the Church.

Following is an excerpt of a letter Sister Cardona received from one of her contacts a few weeks ago. The young woman had written this description of her feelings and experiences to share at her baptismal service and wanted Sister Cardona to know how she felt. It is such a perfect example of the experiences that we are having that I want to share it.

          "I became interested in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day 
     Saints in a somewhat unconventional way. My journey began when 
     everyone seemed to be worried and anxious about the Mayan 
     prediction of the end of the world in December of 2012 and were 
     looking for ways to survive the things they feared would come to pass. 
     Having grown up knowing Matthew 25:13 'watch therefore for ye 
     know neither the day or the hour wherein the Son of Man cometh,' I 
     wasn't thinking in terms of the end of the world happening in 
     December 2012, but I did  become concerned that with all the media 
     attention, that people would panic and start doing things out of fear 
     that they normally would not do. So, I started looking for websites 
     that would give me ideas on how to plan for times of shortage and 
     unrest. 

          "I found the LDS website and I began to read. I read and I 
     watched the videos that were available. I went to the 'Meet the 
     Mormons' link and read people's stories of how they knew the Book 
     of Mormon and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was 
     true. The more I read, the more interested I became and the more 
     interested I became, the more I wanted to learn. I went to the website 
     daily and the Holy Ghost put upon my heart that I needed to find out 
     more. I pushed that thought to the back of my mind thinking that  
     I was just getting caught up in what I was reading and that it was my 
     own thoughts and emotions and not the voice of the Lord that I was 
     hearing. Still, I could not resist going to the website and soaking in 
     everything I could find to read.

          "One day, I was on the web and stumbled across the missionary 
     chat line. There was the little button that had the words 'Chat with a 
     missionary' and 'Start Chat.' I wasn't going to push that button. What 
     would I say? I didn't push that button, either. Next day, same button, 
     the Holy Ghost sitting on my shoulder whispering 'push it, push the 
     button.' Finally, I pushed the button and the Chat screen came up 
     prompting 'type your question here.' I froze. I had no idea what to 
     write. Then a message from a missionary came up saying, 'Hello, my 
     name is Virginie [Sister Cardona]. How can I help you?' The Holy 
     Ghost must have taken over because I cannot tell you what I wrote. 
     I honestly have no idea but I did write and it may have been 
     incoherent babble but the Holy Ghost was translating so Virginie 
     knew exactly what I was saying and she knew exactly what to say 
     to me. I made a friend and we talk weekly still. She asked me if she 
     could contact the missionaries in my area and have them call me. 
     I told her yes. 

          "Shortly after, Sister Brown and Sister Jensen contacted me and I 
     made more friends. I was amazed at how inviting and friendly everyone 
     was the day Sister Brown, Sister Jensen and Sister Ponder came to my
     home for the first time. They shared scripture and testimony with me 
     and invited me to come to church the following day and I gladly 
     accepted. Then came Saturday night and the dreams. In the dreams I 
     was in turmoil and struggling against someone unseen. I was being 
     told that I was making a huge mistake. In my dream but I didn't know 
     why. Sunday morning, I woke up with the worst headache and 
     thought, 'Okay, I am not going feeling like this. Who is going to miss 
     me anyway? They don't know me.' I tried to go back to sleep but I 
     could not sleep. I finally got up and prepared myself to go to church. 
     I almost turned the car around and went back home. My head was 
     pounding, but I didn't. I parked my car and went inside where I was 
     met by a crowd of smiling faces and led to where Sister Brown and 
     Sister Jensen were. They then introduced to the dearest lady, Sister 
     Smith. Sister Smith invited me to sit with her and her family during 
     Sacrament Meeting where she explained what was going on and 
     shared the scripture readings with me, showing me where to find 
     them and explaining what they meant when I looked confused. I 
     then followed her to Sunday School and Relief Society and enjoyed 
     everything about the services. 

         "I felt in my heart that I was in the right place; that this is where I 
     needed to be. This was where Heavenly Father wants me. Still, I was 
     haunted by those horrible dreams for the next several nights, waking 
     me up in the middle of the night questioning my feelings, questioning 
     whether this step was right. Finally, I turned to the scriptures and 
     prayed. I asked the Lord to show me. I asked the Lord to bind Satan. 
     I asked the Lord to give me peace and faith and trust. I prayed for 
     peace and that Satan's lies be removed from my mind. That night, 
     there was sleep.No bad dreams, no questions, and yes, there was a 
     peace:  a peace that comes when you are in the presence of the Holy 
     Ghost. I knew that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 
     was true. 
  
          "I know that the gospel that the Church teaches is true and 
      complete, and most of all, I know that I do belong here. I am at 
     peace here. I feel Heavenly Father's love here and it is radiated 
     through every member of the Church. I stand before you today 
     declaring that I am happy to be a member of The Church of Jesus 
     Christ of Latter-day Saints. I vow to keep the commandments of our 
     Heavenly Father. I vow to keep the covenants and ordinances so 
     that I may return to live with my Heavenly Father forever." 

     It is a wonderful feeling to know that this young woman and many others like her are finding peace and strength in the gospel of Jesus Christ. Though the world can be a confusing, dark and painful place, there is still great peace and happiness to be found in the truths of the gospel.                ~Pat~  

No comments:

Post a Comment